Jazz in Wales

News about gigs, festivals, famous names, new artists and more compiled by DJ Andy Roberts in Cardiff, Wales. Send your updates to andy @ jazzinwales.co.uk

Friday, July 11, 2008

Robert Taylor RIP

Cardiff saxophonist Robert Taylor has died after a long illness.

He was well known around the city for gigs with the band Time Out back in the eighties and nineties, and later as a duo performing with John Lenney Jr on keyboards.

Speaking on Radio Cardiff 98.7 FM, John paid tribute to his friend saying Robert was one of the finest musicians in Wales.

Personally speaking, Robert was my first saxophone teacher at an evening class in Radyr back in the early 1990s.

I'm sure I disappointed him with my inability/reluctance to keep practising my scales, but his was a great example of someone who kept honing his technique, not for technique's sake, but to make the most of the instrument's lyrical qualities.

You can hear Robert play on a track by Marcus Davis aka Serious Nubian - check out Cutting Ties on the audio player at www.myspace.com/seriousnubian

If you have any memories of Robert Taylor, you're welcome to post them here.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:29 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was lucky enough to play drums in Time Out around 1988 - 89 - 90 and played the Four Bars Inn with the band almost weekly. Robert amazed me with playing. He was such a good musician I have no hesitation in calling him World Class. When Robert was good , he was phenominal; when he felt he played badly he was still superb. He would entice me into some intricate poly rhythms with his wicked smile and his irresistable sax playing. Man,he played sax like the ngels play the harp........out of this world!
    Dave Watkins

     
  • At 10:08 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Esme says

    Robert I've known you all my life and very proud to have called you cousin. Your sax playing was out of this world no matter what you played it was awesome. You always had the most warm & friendly smile and always gave me a hug no matter how often I saw you. Will miss you always and I know you are charming the angels and all the Uncles with your sax.
    Forever in my heart.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home