Jazz in Wales

News about gigs, festivals, famous names, new artists and more compiled by DJ Andy Roberts in Cardiff, Wales. Send your updates to andy @ jazzinwales.co.uk

Monday, February 28, 2011

Big Fat Gypsy Disco




Are you a fan of uplifting Balkan beats, gypsy jazz, klezmer classics and more?

If so I'm launching a new venture called Big Fat Gypsy Disco.

It's been inspired by a DJ set I was asked to do for a friend's 40th birthday party in Pontypridd at the weekend which went down a storm - thanks Jeff!


Initially it'll be a case of me offering to do similar sets at open-minded clubs and bars in Cardiff, south Wales and beyond, maybe supporting or hiring bands for such events - as well as selecting the tunes I'll also play along on my clarinet, davul, darbuka or other instrument to help the night go with a gypsy swing.

Mindful of the comments a certain TV show has attracted over its authenticity, I should point out that BFGD will be a positive celebration of Gypsy and Roma inspired music from Eastern Europe, Turkey, the Mediterranean and beyond, along with Slavic, Arabic and Jewish tunes of a similar tempo if not Roma in origin.


See
www.bigfatgypsydisco.co.uk for more details, including a taste of what to expect via a webcast of a gypsy special I recently presented on Radio Cardiff.

If you run a venue and want to book me, or if you're in a band that wants DJ support, get in touch via info @ bigfatgypsydisco.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home